How to Change MAC Address in Windows PC
Changing MAC address is also called MAC address spoofing that is to say you are tricking the MAC address. It may sound funny to you but that is the fact. The MAC address is a special byte number of 12 digits used to identify a host (PC) on network. MAC address falls into the layer 2 networking protocol of the OSI model.
Example of how the MAC address number looks like is 00:1C:55:33:5E:D8. Note that this number is being assigned by the manufacturer of the PC. The MAC address can also tell the name of the manufacturer if studied properly
Meaning of MAC address
which is translated as “media access control” is a unique identifier number assigned to Network Interfaces Card (NIC) for communications on the physical network segment. Every computer has a MAC addresses which differs from other. Note that no two computers on earth can have the same MAC address. Let us take for example, your sim card has a number that has been assigned to it by the network providers, the same has to do with the MAC Address of a PC, Also note that MAC addresses is also available in all smartphones.
In this post, you will learn how to change MAC Address in Windows PC. As we all know MAC addresses can be used for tracking procedure and it is used to identify your computer in a network. However, sometimes you may need to change your MAC address due to certain reasons which you may want to change the MAC address example is if on a network you have been denied access to access the internet likely in the office place or even in a private place, you can simply spoof an address from an authorized computer and use it to access the internet.
Or if your Wi-Fi network is not permitting you to access the internet you can quickly use the MAC address of the PC allowed and spoof it to connect.
However, changing MAC address requires some hard work. Therefore, we are going to share you the easy process to change your MAC address in Windows.
MAC addresses are used as a network address for most IEEE 802 network technologies, including Ethernet and Wi-Fi. This address issued to track the device that is uploading or downloading over the internet. So for private or anonymous browsing not only IP address should also be hidden MAC address must be protected. So we have a tool that can change MAC address of your Windows PC. Read out the complete method below.
The method is based on a tool that we will discussed in steps, and with that tool, you can change your MAC address at that runtime session, and with that, your PC will be anonymous on the network as no one can track your actual MAC address of your Windows PC.
Using Technitium MAC Address Changer
This tool allows you to change (spoof) Media Access Control (MAC) Address of your Network Interface Card (NIC) instantly. It has a very simple user interface and provides sample information regarding each NIC in the machine. Every NIC has a MAC address hard coded in its circuit by the manufacturer. This hard coded MAC address is used by Windows drivers to access Ethernet Network (LAN). This tool can set a new MAC address to your NIC, bypass the original hard coded MAC address.
- Works on Windows 10, 8 & 7 for both 32-bit and 64-bit.
- Enhanced network configuration pre-sets with IPv6 support allow you to quickly switch between network configurations
- Allows complete configuration of any network adapter.
- Command line options with entire software functionality available. You can select a pre-set from specified pre-set file to apply directly.
- Update network card vendors list feature allows you to download latest vendor data (OUI) from IEEE.org.
Note: This guide is only for knowledge and testing purpose and should not be used for any illegal activities as i will not responsible for how you use it.
Steps to follow
- when you start MAC address changer, it will list all available network adapters.
- Select the adapter you want to change the MAC address. You will get the details of your selection.
- In the Information tab, find the Change MAC Address frame. Enter new MAC address in the field and click Change Now Button. You may even click Random MAC Address button to fill up a randomly selected MAC address from the vendor list available.
- To restore the original MAC address of the network adapter, select the adapter, click Restore Original button in the Change MAC Address frame. NOTE: This tool cannot change MAC address of Microsoft Network Bridge. Network Bridge will automatically use the original MAC address of the first NIC added into bridge with the first octet of MAC address set to 0x02.
Using NoVirusThanks MAC Address Changer
NoVirusThanks MAC Address Changer is an easy to use application that allows you to change (spoof) the Media Access Control (MAC) Address of your network adapters. The programs interface is very simple, you just need to select the network adapter, click the button Change MAC and type a new MAC Address (or you can generate a randomized MAC Address with the appropriate button)
If the MAC Address cannot be changed, make sure to adjust the new MAC Address because some network adapters accepts only specific ranges. This is a small but effective network tool that should be present in every security professionals tool box. This program is fully compatible with all Microsoft Windows operating systems, from Windows XP to Windows 8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit).
- Easily change (spoof) MAC Address
- View details about all available network adapters
- Works with almost any network adapters Generate random MAC Address with a single click
- Restore the original MAC Address
- Supports all Microsoft Windows operating systems
- Does not need any Microsoft .NET Framework
- Very lightweight in the memory
How to Use:
Step 1. First of all, Download and Install NoVirusThanks MAC Address Changer on your Windows computer.
Step 2. Now Click on Refresh List and it will show all the network adapter.
Step 3. Select the Network Adapter and then click on â the Change MAC.
Step 4. Now you will see the screen; here you can randomize your MAC address or can type a new Mac Address and then click on Change.
That’s it! You are done. This is the easiest way to change your MAC Address. If the MAC Address cannot be changed, make sure to adjust the new MAC Address because some network adapters accept only specific ranges. Don’t forget to like and share.